Feb 26, 2012

AAG 2012

The annual Association of American Geographers conference is in full swing here in New York City. I'm excited to be in the program twice, for both a panel discussion this afternoon and a paper session on Tuesday.

This afternoon I'm really looking forward to the panel on Parsing the Politics and Practice of 'DIY' that I organized with my friends and colleagues Brian Hracs of the University of Toronto and Uppsala University, and Michael Seman of U.T. Arlington. As we write in the abstract, the panel will "bring together an interdisciplinary group of scholars to discuss the evolution of the term and its value as a topic of conceptual and empirical inquiry. Drawing on studies of music, art, fashion, cycling culture and urban revitalization the panelists will unpack the intersections between alternative identities and practices and how activities associated with D.I.Y. shape, and are shaped by, local spaces and scenes." Our excellent panel also includes: Patrick Adler (UCLA), Alison Bain (York), Dan Campo (Morgan State), Doreen Jakob (Exeter), and Johan Jansson (Uppsala).

Then, on Tuesday morning, I'll be presenting my most recent findings from my dissertation research on DIY urban design in talk entitled "Don't Wait for Anybody to Give you Permission: Unauthorized Urban Design 'Contributions' in the Contemporary City". It will be part of a great-sounding session on "Locating Alternative Geographies Through the Spatial Imaginary" organized by Ingrid Butler and Asha Best. The abstract can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment